Since getting our new kitchen, I’ve suddenly become possessed by some kind of chef / baker spirit and I’m trying out loads of new recipes as well as some old favourites ?
Today was an attempt at a new recipe – Breakfast Oat Bars.
This version is different to the ones I normally make, as I wanted to have a play around with different ingredients and tastes – even though we LOVE our regular, there might be a version out there that is better? You never know until you find out, right?
BREAKFAST OATY BARS.
Prep time : less than 30 minutes. Cooking time : 10 – 30 minutes. VEGAN (and GLUTEN FREE if you sub the regular oats to GF oats)
100g of butter
75ml of golden syrup (4 and a bit tablespoons)
50g Rolled Porridge Oats (change to GF oats if needed)
50g Sunflower Seeds
50g hazelnuts – crushed or roughly chopped
60g dried Apricots – roughly chopped (I didn’t have any apricots at the time of baking so subbed with dried cranberries)
1. Pre-heat oven to 180c / 160c fan / gas mark 4. Line a square baking tray with grease proof paper.
2. Heat butter and syrup in a small pan over a medium heat until bubbling.
3. Meanwhile, tip the oats, seeds, nuts and apricots / cranberries into a bowl and mix. Then add the warm syrup and mix well to combine all ingredients.
4. Pour into the lined baking tray and press down into an even layer. Then place in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes or until golden brown.
5. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then cut into around 16 squares. When cold, transfer into an air tight container, this way they’ll keep for about a week.
After tasting, I love the crunch that the hazelnuts gave, and I’ll definitely be giving these another go – they were very quick and easy to make and will be a great snack option as well as for breakfast.
Will you be giving them a go?
*this recipe is from the BBC website*